Searching for and securing a job is a challenging process. The Carney Group is dedicated to providing valuable information to assist in your job search. Our goal is to equip you with necessary job search tools, positioning you as a top candidate.
An interview is a job seeker’s ‘sales call.’ The better prepared you are beforehand, the higher the chance the employer will view you as a top candidate. Practice selling yourself in a confident manner and distinguish yourself as a unique candidate by following our interview tips:
- An interview is a sales call – the candidate who sells the best gets the offer.
- Be on time – arrive 10 minutes early so you can familiarize yourself with the office and culture.
- First impression – you only have one chance to make a first impression. Be positive and personable to everyone you interact with from the receptionist to the CEO.
- Dress for the interview – it’s better to over-dress by wearing a suit than under-dress. This shows that you care about getting the job.
- Do your homework – Research the company beforehand. Read through the company website; understand its products, customers, competition, culture and mission.
- Get the priorities – the Understand what your interviewer’s key ‘hot points’ are by asking your interviewer to share with you more information about the position and the qualifications they are looking for.
- Sell – Present your credentials according to the position’s key qualifications set by the interviewer
- Money – Be nebulous on salary, give a range if necessary.
- Closure – Close the interview as you would close a sales call – ask the interviewer if he/she feels that you have the qualifications that they are looking for. If so, ask for next steps. Provide further clarification on any areas of concern indicated.
- Be grateful – Thank those who interview you for their time.
Remember the following when going on an interview:
- What can you do for the company?
- How can you help the company make/save money?
- Do you fit into the culture of the company?
- What differentiates you from the competition?